Friday, October 1, 2010

Amy Butler Inspired Fabric Leaves


I made these fabric flowers for The Girl's room. They were made from scraps of fabric from another project and were inspired by this pattern from Amy Butler found here.

Want to make your own?
You will need:
Twigs, sticks, or fake flower stems (I bought mine at the Dollar Tree)
Scraps of Fabric
Heat-n-Bond fusible interfacing



First, I laid out the fabric scraps on my ironing board, right side down, on top of tissue paper (to keep the interfacing from getting on my ironing board and mucking up my iron).



Then, I cut out a piece of interfacing to fit over the fabric scraps, and ironed it on according to the directions on the package.




It looked like this when I was done. While the paper backing was still attached, I cut out leaf shapes from each little scrap.




I ended up with this pile of leaves.


Next, I peeled the paper off each leaf, and sandwiched the end of the stem between two leaves. Then I ironed them together, and trimmed off the excess fabric sticking out (this was the time consuming part).



After much ironing and trimming this was the end result. Perfect for Her room!




Although I made the "greenery" for The Girl's room, they were so fun and Springy that they've been on our entertainment center since Easter.



I love the way the fabric leaves turned out, but because I just eyeballed it when I cut them out, they were pretty irregular which made for a lot of trimming. I tried it again, this time using card stock, hot glue, and a stencil. It was fast and easy. Both methods turned out great. The fabric leaves are definitely my favorite and totally worth the time, but I don't know if I would be inclined to do it again.

4 comments:

running granny green said...

I think your method looks much easier and tidier than Amy Butler's.

Skye O. said...

Those are so cute!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

this is amazing...so cute..i cant wait to try this...wonderful

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Those look very cool!!! Never thought of that before! Thanks for sharing! :) Have a great day! Would love if you'd stop by my blog sometime :)