Friday, March 12, 2010

Sewing Machine Woes

My sewing machine and I have a sort of love-hate relationship... I love it, but I think it might hate me. Never seems to work when I need it to. It randomly freaks out when I'm in the middle of a project, and often refuses to get up and going at all. Sounds more like a grumpy teenager than a simple piece of machinery.

Such was the case earlier this week. I sat down to sew one very simple straight seam. Just one. But my machine (I think she needs a name...) refused to work. I turned in off and back on. I switched the stich. I switched back to my original stitch. Tried all the easy things I could think of. Nothing.

So I decided to break out the big guns. I got out the screwdriver and started taking things apart. (I'm sure my mother is cringing right now... we won't talk about all the other things I've taken apart and ruined...) So I went about dismantling and cleaning and tweaking. I put it all back together to give it another try. No good. I tried a new bobbin, still nothing. And then I ran out of time and decided to come back to it later.

So yesterday, I came back to see if I could make the darn thing work. I took it apart a few more times, and cleaned an oiled and blah blah blah. Finally, put it all back together, and as a last ditch effort, decided to rethread the blasted machine.

It worked. Stupid machine.

The moral of the story? Be nice to your sewing machine, and don't forget to try rethreading it before you bust out the hand tools.

And now that it's up and running again, I hope to have a cute little project up in the near future.

1 comment:

running granny green said...

What can I say? My eyebrows shot up just as I got the the part, "started taking things apart." Glad you fixed it!