Monday, January 24, 2011

Valentine's Day Craftiness

I've been trying to use some of my cooped-up-in-the-house-all-winter-cause-it's-too-stinkin-cold-to-leave time to spruce things up around this place.  Hence the Valentine's Day clutter, I mean decorations. The good news: they were cheap and easy, my favorite kind of craft.  Everything was made out of stuff already in my house.


I painted this picture frame, cut some burlap to fit inside, and wrote the word "love" with a dry erase marker. The dry erase marker seemed to work better on the burlap than acrylic paint or a sharpie, and it made for a nice clean line.  If I owned a die cut machine, I definitely would have used it to make a cute little stencil, but the dry erase marker was super easy, and the red frame gives the pop of color my wannabe mantle was lacking.

This blue frame has been sitting around in need of a home for quite some time.  Now it gets to live on the front door.
To make the burlap heart, I cut a heart from cereal box.

Then I cut strips of burlap, and wrapped them around the heart, hot gluing the burlap down in the back.
It looked like this when I was done. 

 I tied a ribbon around it and hung it from the nail in the door, behind the picture frame.  I love that I can use my blue-red-brown decorations from Christmas all winter long.

No comments: